Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wishes and Daydreams


Rich Fabend

June is the month for high school graduation in the States. Both of my nurses have children graduating from high school this year. My primary nurse has been with me for almost 11 years now. Her children are almost like grandchildren to my wife and me. It is her son Devin who's graduating. When he was young we used to play together. Over the years he has done work around our house, has stayed with me overnight when my wife was away (we call it Adult Sitting) and I've watched him grow up. He is a fine young man, as well as a good soccer player and I've seen him play a number of times. Devin will be going into the United States Navy, after graduation, and will train to be corpsman.

I'm envious! He's young and I'm old. He's got his life ahead of him; most of mine is behind me. He's fit and I am not. I want to be him, young, healthy, virile with so much to look forward to. Just the other night I was thinking it is too bad life doesn’t begin at old age and go backward to childhood. However, wishing and daydreaming isn't going to change my situation. But what it does do is help me look at my life and put things in perspective. People come and go every day and little changes in the grand scheme of things. All this is wishful thinking, I guess, but the reality is only the earth goes on. It reminds me of part of the Serenity Poem which was stuck on a bulletin board in the kitchen at my best friend’s house.


God grant me the serenity


to accept the things I cannot change;


courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.                         

Reinhold Niebuhr


So, all things considered, what is the lesson to be learned? Deal in reality, enjoy your life as it is, change what you can and take time each day to smell the roses. We are not here very long so we should make the best of our situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment