Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Attitude, Attitude, Attitude!

Rich Fabend

I can only speak from my own personal experiences, sharing what I have learned and what I believe to be important.
Attitude, Attitude, Attitude I have become convinced over the last eleven years that attitude is much more important to individuals who are physically challenged than ability. To look on a new situation not as a problem but as a challenge needing to be met, may actually set one’s mind free of the mental restraints which prevent one from finding a solution.


Attitude towards the future will play a great role in how one adapts to any new lifestyle. I am sure there are many people who would look at me confined to a wheelchair and think that it is probably one of the worst things that could happen to anyone. It doesn't matter what other people think, what is important is what I think. I had little control over what happened to me but I have almost complete control over how I deal with my situation, and feeling in control is critical to progress and recovery. What I believe and how I handle the results of my accident will determine how I live and enjoy the rest of my life. I have good days and bad days but ultimately the control of my situation and attitude rests within me.


I know I have the ability to cope with what has happened to me, and I can decide how I will handle this and subsequent challenges I will face. The strength to deal positively with any challenge is in every one of us. I do not see myself as a person with a disability I see myself as being challenged. Christopher Reeve said "I refuse to allow a disability to determine how I will live my life. I don't mean to be reckless, but setting a goal that seems a bit daunting actually is very helpful toward recovery."

No comments:

Post a Comment